Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Fishing Hawaiian Style


Rick and I had the great opportunity to try lay net fishing. We went out to Hookilau Beach at about 9 p.m. Saturday night. The guys had a 350 foot net that they spread out in an arc starting near the beach and ending near. Then they made a line along the beach and slapped the water with sticks to herd the fish toward the net. They gathered it up and came in. These are the fish we pulled out!
This was so fun. I'd love to go again and take the kids. The beach in the moonlight was georgous and we scared crabs who skittered down to the water as we walked along. There was a little dead eel that I almost stepped on that was so interesting. After that, I kept the flashlight trained on the sand in front of where I walked. It was nice and warm with a cool breeze, even the water felt pretty warm. And I LOVED not having to plaster over and over with sunscreen. I've always said I'm a much better moon-bather than sun-bather!

2 comments:

EstesSBTAK said...

Thanks for the updates. The fishing sounds great, and how romantic on the beach at sundown.

Jenn said...

That sounds like such a fun date! It looks like you guys had alot of fun. How many fish did you guys get to keep?